GreaseSpot Cafe

"Gospel of Judas" to be published

markomalley

A Kiss for Judas

It could be a passion story as co-written by Mick (Sympathy for the Devil) Jagger and The Matrix's mess-with-your-metaphysics Wachowski brothers: Judas Iscariot, vilified in the Gospels as Jesus' great betrayer, was not merely an Apostle--he was perhaps Christ's closest confidant. Technically speaking, he did drop a dime on Jesus. But there were extenuating circumstances, some having to do with the belief that the God of the Old Testament was not the ultimate God, that this world is not what it seems and ... well, for a full explanation, you'll just have to see the movie.

Er, rather, see the 31-page papyrus tractate. Provocatively titled The Gospel of Judas, the alleged Coptic Egyptian translation of a 2nd century manuscript promises to be a kind of Da Vinci Code--style everything-you-know-is-wrong thrill ride. According to its holders, the text will be unveiled this spring for the first time in at least 1,500 years. If your Coptic is rusty, there will be an official translation, and a National Geographic TV special in late April, they say. (Geographic declines comment.) You'll have eminent co-viewers: scholarly interest reaches up to the Vatican.

(Remainder snipped)

Some news of interest to our gnostic friends. It will be interesting to read the translation of this document when it comes out. I guess documents like this provides a tremendous amount of pleasure to those who still have some sort of spirituality but who have rejected orthodox Christianity as the method to fulfill their spiritual needs...as they tend to "prove" orthodox Christianity as being wrong. Personally I see these types of documents as evidence of the beliefs held by certain sects during those days.

I don't know if this is on topic or not, but speaking of Judas, his story puzzles me. He is a disciple who followed Jesus, but didn't follow Jesus; a treasurer who was trusted with the money for the poor, yet lined his own pockets. With a kiss, he stabbed Jesus in the back, loving him, but serving the devil's purposes. He repented, but was so filled with regret, he killed himself anyway. He was forgiven, yet found no forgiveness.

What is the lesson in that?

Meaning what, Allan?

Does Judas evoke your compassion, your contempt, both or neither? And if Judas is a symbol of "a majority of the human race," what does that say to you or about you, or about Jesus' ability to reach the unreachable, redeem the unredeemable, forgive the unforgivable? Anything?

Edited by laleo

Very interesting and perceptive points laleo.

I may read it if for no other reason than I was once part of a fringe subgroup myself , that rightly or wrongly had some fairly strong group dynamics. It would be interesting for me to see what a fringe subgroup of 150AD was up to. I wonder if there will be a Ubiquitous Lost Last Teaching of Judas Chapter..

It shows me that unlike the other disciples who for the most part put themselves under the authority of Jesus, Judas never did. And if Jesus is not Lord of a man or womens life, someone else will be, either the person themself or the Devil.

In the words of Bob Dylan.." It may be the devil or it may be the Lord, but you're gonna have to serve somebody".

Judas never quite 'sold himself out' to Jesus and ended up 'being sold short'.

Laleo,

Re:"...his story puzzles me. He is a disciple who followed Jesus, but didn't follow Jesus; a treasurer who was trusted with the money for the poor, yet lined his own pockets. With a kiss, he stabbed Jesus in the back, loving him, but serving the devil's purposes. He repented, but was so filled with regret, he killed himself anyway. He was forgiven, yet found no forgiveness."

History is recorded by the victors and you are taking the Gospel accounts at face value. All we have are the Gospel accounts. Judas could well have been the "good" disciple. If there even was a Judas.

sudo