GreaseSpot Cafe

Caution if you have teenagers

markomalley

I know my daughter had warning of this through an Internet safety briefing at her school last spring.

Just thought I'd pass it on...

MySpace.com Subject of Sex Assault Probe

By Associated Press

Thu Feb 2, 11:42 PM

HARTFORD, Conn. - Police are investigating whether as many as seven teenage girls have been sexually assaulted by men they met through the popular Web site MySpace.com.

The girls, ages 12 to 16, are from Middletown and say they were fondled or had consensual sex with men who turned out to be older than they claimed. None of the incidents appeared to be violent, said Middletown Police Sgt. Bill McKenna.

He said it was difficult to determine the exact number of victims because some girls have been reluctant to disclose that they met their assailants online.

The social networking Web site allows users to create profiles that can include photos, personal information and even cell phone numbers.

In a statement Thursday, MySpace.com said it was committed to providing a safe environment for its users. The site, which includes safety tips, also prohibits use by anyone younger than 14, though a disclaimer says the people who run the site can't always tell if users are lying about their ages.

AP Story

Dead Girl May Have Met Her Killer Online

Police are investigating to see if the teenager met her killer on-line, where friends say they saw her picture on MySpace.com.

Newark, NJ -- Magalie Cajuste today made plans to bury her 14-year-old daughter, Judy, who she says was her little princess.

"She's missing and she's dead that's all I know about my Judy," Cajuste said. Both mother and daughter wore matching rings and the ring was the only thing Judy had on when she was found strangled in a Newark Dumpster

Friends are collecting money for her funeral, money they took to Judy's mother.

"She was very sweet, kind, always there when you needed her," said Yasmare McKnight, a close friend.

"The same day they (police) came here they took the computer," Cajsute said.

Police are investigating to see if the teenager met her killer on-line, where friends say they saw her picture on MySpace.com.

Sources say authorities are concentrating on MySpace.com and several other leads.

Judy's Friends at Abraham Clark High School say they're staying away from the website.

"I got a picture on my space, I'm not going there I'm cancelling my page," said one student.

"Three of my friends erased it yesterday after hearing this," said another student.

Mrs. Cajuste says her daughter dreamed of being a teacher.

She wants to know why it took investigators 10 days to positively identify Judy.

The teenager was last seen alive on January 12th at her school.

Police found her body the next day.

"Only investigated by myself," Cajuste said.

Investigators say they originally thought the body was that of an adult.

Mrs. Cajuste says she contacted police a number of times only to be told they couldn't help.

"I need justice that's it I need justice," she said.

Jan.24,2006

Dateline had a 2 hour special about internet underage sex. It was an excellent show. MSNBC will air it on Cable Feb 4. I would check it out.

They set up a sting, of course. They arrested 50 people in 4 days. That will tell you something about the prevalence of this kind of thing. The show they did was in California, however.

The link to the dateline story is HERE.

They've actually been doing a series on this topic. They have caught people from all walks of life, including teachers, a rabbi, a criminal investigator for the Department of Homeland Security, military personnel, you name it.

They've also caught a number of men who had extensive criminal records, many of them violent and many of them with a history of preying on children. One man had just been arrested 5 months prior to the show for having oral sex with a 15 year old boy and already was back on the streets, preying on kids again.

What continues to amaze me is that our society keeps letting these men out again!

OH yeah, you can also go to pervertedjustice.com and learn more there.

• 2 weeks later...

just got a letter from the principal of my son's school telling all us parents about myspace (one of the top 20 websites right now for traffic)

when i had told my son about the girl in newark, he immediately put his profile on "private"

i also learned it's for 16 and up. my kid is 11 and that's about the age of most of his friends

the middle school has invited all parents to a meeting in march to hear a presentation from an FBI agent

i caught the tail end of oprah today about this subject and webcams basically being used for sex