GreaseSpot Cafe

The future of sexuality

markomalley

The more shocking, the more points. It's got to be hard enough to instill some values when Britney and Madonna go at it on national television on an awards show that the young ones watch to see their heroes. And the media seems to like to replay that little incident at any opportunity.

We have some young women showing up for work with naval's and buttcracks not only showing, but tattoed with the sole purpose of drawing attention to themselves. They don't seem to get it when encouraged to dress more appropriately.

Is this a sign of age? I'm sure we weren't viewed upon very kindly in our day, either, but I can only take so much buttcrack. Nightmare on buttcrack street! :asdf:

Edited by topoftheworld

PDA in school used to inferiorate me because the girl who had a locker above mine in 7th grade (and again in 9th grade :asdf: ) used to make out with her boyfriend in front of her locker. I used to have to tell them to move so I could get in my locker. I thought it was rude then, and I still do. It wasn't the same guy in 9th grade either. As a matter of fact, it wasn't the same guy throughout the school year. I wonder what she's doing now? I wonder if she thinks it's OK for her daughter (if she has one) to make out in front of the world.

I don't understand why labeling sexuality has to appear to be the forefront of who a person is. I've had gay friends who wanted to identified as what their sexuality is, and I've had others who thought it didn't matter what their sexuality was and never flaunted the fact they were gay.

As a heterosexual female, I don't think being hetero is what I want to be identified first and foremost. I want to be identified as an intelligent (or atleast somewhat intelligent :biglaugh:), caring, trustworthy, and kind individual.

Like, are you kidding?!?!?! Totally gross!

Geez-am I old!

Nope, I'm not kidding. :dance:

Wafer Not--Some mothers!

When one of my kids was in 6th grade she went to the roller rink with a neighbor girl, big church going family( this girl took my kid to church one Sunday but chastised her for not wearing a dress in the House of God.)

Anyway, there is a certain corner in the locker area that is out of view of the roller skating monitors, who are generally on the floor during songs.

Neighbor girl was sneaking back there and making out with boys, different boys. My kid was uncomfortable with the situation ( they were 12)gave me a call, so I called neighbor girl's mother, saying I was on my way to pick up the kids an hour early, and explained the situation.

Neighbor mom--"Oh, my Sadie is so popular with the boys. I'll pick her up when the skate session is over." Not one tiny bit upset or concerned. So Sadie got another hour or so of making out.

Later, during basket ball season, neighbor mom was at every game and invited my kid to come shoot hoops at their house.

No way. I wondered what Sadie might be doing in the garage!

Making out in sixth grade. It's dangerous. That's an age where boys can't keep their hands off their penis. If they get a girl to make out with them, well......we all know where that leads. Making out is foreplay.

Damn, when we were kids, we got foreplay all the damn time! In adulthood, it's a forgotten art! sheesh! Is that backwards or what?

its been awhile since my boys were this age, but I do recall quite a few girls calling in 7 and 8th grade, and ummmmm I can truthfully say they were not prude. the conversations they initiated with my two boys was enough to curl some of my hairs.

I do recall however, my parents thinking our generation could never survive teenhood the way we looked , dressed and talked. Sideburns below mid-ear were the subject of my first civil disobedience action in highschool. We sat 240 seniors (half the class) at the entrance to lunchroom. Nobody could get to lunch that day, teachers included. We were successful in changing policy on the matter, but it was two more years before I could get the dang things to grow.

~HAP

I don't think I'm going out on much of a limb when I say that sexuality and human behavior in general hasn't changed much in that last few millenia.

Yeah, introduction of "the pill" did a lot to loosen people up, but the desires (and willingness to act on them) were always there.

And there will always be the odd number of those that will take anything to extremes. But the basic way we handle ourselves is not really all that unique today. I remember overhearing a conversation my grandmother was having with my (then pregnant) sister. It seems grandma had had FIVE abortions before she'd gotten married - and this would have been around 1900-1910.

I also remember my other grandparents (paternal) being rather dedicated drinkers who thought nothing of getting drunk along with their children (when the kids were 6, 8, or 10) at holidays and such. And later on would have done the same with their grandkids, were it not for Mom's intervention. So, yeah, people can act peculiarly (and immorally?) at times, but it's sure nothing new.

And no, I'm not advocating some sort of abdication of parenting, but I'm not going to get too alarmed that there's some kids somewhere that are acting in a lascivious manner. Basically, I think the article is simply alarmist nonsense, masquerading as news...

I remember a couple years ago, going to the mall to pick-up something from Sears, I took with me our foster-daughter and her new 'bestest-friend'. Both of these girls were 10 years old. Well I drove and listened to these two young girls as they talked and giggled. they both proclaimed that their 'goal in life' was to have a soft-top jeep when they each turned 16. I asked them why and they explain to me, so they could remove the top of their jeep and drive around flashing their breasts at boys to make the boys chase them.