GreaseSpot Cafe

Rouladen Recipe

ex10

Help!

Several years ago, I was looking for a Rouladen recipe and someone on Waydale/Greasespot gave me a fabulous recipe. I can't find it.....Woe is me. I'm throwing myself a birthday party this week-end and promised everyone I'd make Rouladen. I kinda remember how to do it, but dangit I need that recipe. :spy:

Radar, I think you were the one who gave it to me.....I'd be forever indebted if someone has a tried and true, foolproof recipe. I have searched the net already and nothing comes close to the Rouladen I used to make. Help?

Would these recipes help??

Rouladen ---

Stuffed beef - (scroll down, there are two different recipes here).

Ingredients:

4 sirloin tip steaks - thin

8 slices bacon

8 slices dill pickles (sliced lengthwise)

1 onion, diced

German mustard or brown mustard

salt

pepper

1/4 cup vegetable oil

3 cups beef broth

1/4 cup tomato paste

1/4 cup half and half

1/4 cup evaporated skim milk

Directions:

Pound the steaks with a meat tenderizer/mallot until about 1/8" thick.

Season the steaks with salt and pepper.  Spread mustard thickly on one side on each steak.  Place two slices of bacon and two pickle slices on each steak. 

Divide the onion evenly onto each steak.  Starting from the narrowest end of each steak, roll  tightly (jelly roll style) and secure with string. 

Heat oil in a heavy saucepan.  Brown the meat rolls well on all sides.  Add about 1 cup of water to the saucepan, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Add more water if needed. 

Remove the meat from the pan.  Add the beef broth to the liquid the meat was cooked in. Keep boiling until liquid is reduced by one third of its original size. Whisk in tomato paste, half and half, and evaporated skim milk, careful to not let it boil (to avoid curdling). Season with salt and pepper.  Return the meat to the pan and warm through.

Thank you to Richard Shettle, HAHS Class of '69, for sending me this recipe!

Ingredients:

round steak 4" x 8" (thinly sliced - 1/8-1/4 inch thickness) (1-2 strips per person)

chopped onion (quantity according to individual taste)

chopped bacon (1-2 slices per beef strip)

chopped dill pickles (1-2 thin slices per beef strip)

beef broth ( 1 can per 3-4 people )

brown gravy mix ( package per 3-4 people)

Directions:

bacon, onion & pickles on top of round steak strips, roll tightly and skewer with a couple of tooth picks to keep together.  Spray skillet with cooking spray & brown both sides. 

Heat beef broth & brown gravy mix in pot.  Place browned meat into a cooking pan and pour broth/gravy over meat making sure it is immersed at least 75% or more.  (I add mushrooms to the gravy). 

Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour at approx 350 degrees.  After cooking save the gravy to pour over the meat and spetzel, noodles, dumplings or potatoes you may want to serve with it.

Notes:  The second time you make this, make adjustments on portions based upon your first attempt.  Increase cooking time for lower temperatures. (some suggest simmering in broth/gravy for 2 hours which may result in a more tender meat)

I found these on THIS SITE courtesy of google. :)

Hope it helps.

David

Thanks, David, but the recipe I used had bread crumbs, and no pickles? B) I made it with my beloved's Grandma for years, but she didn't read or write English, so of course we didn't follow a recipe. Dang, I wish I'd written it down.

But the folly of youth, I guess, is that you think you'll remember everything. You get older, have teenagers, and all the brain cells somehow ........uh, leave. :asdf:

This is from "The Joy Of Cooking" (an authoritative source, if I ever heard of one :biglaugh:)

Thin strips of pounded meat, poultry or fish rolled around vegetables or other fillings are known as roulades or passipettes. They may be further wrapped in salt pork or bacon. To make them with beef use:

Thin strips of pounded round or flank steak, 3x4"

Season with:

Salt and pepper

Place on each strip about 2 tablespoons of one of the following fillings.

I. Well-seasoned smoked or cooked sausage with chopped parsley or dill pickle.

II. Minced ham, julienned carrots and celery.

III. Seasoned cooked rice, chopped stuffed olives or seedless green grapes with lemon zest.

Roll meat and tie with string near both ends, or wrap as for cabbage leaves. Dredge (I suppose you could use bread crumbs for this. It's cooking, not baking. The rules are different :biglaugh: ) in

Flour

Brown in bacon drippings or rendered salt pork. Place in a casserole and use one for every six rolls:

1 1/2 cups of stock or dry wine

1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste

Cover and cook slowly in a preheated 300 degree oven. or simmer on direct heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes

Edited by Sushi