GreaseSpot Cafe

Trying to locate something.......

Cowgirl

Awhile back I had read an article on perseverance, can't remember if it was here on GS that someone posted it, but it was all in regards to people and their backgrounds (schooling) and no matter what difficulties or obstacles that layed in their paths, or how many times they submitted a piece of work and got turned down, they still persevered and succeeded no matter what the critics said. The article gave quite a few examples of well-known people like writers, inventors etc. From what I remember it was quite an inspiring article and I would love to get my hands on it!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Cowgirl

When the world says, "Give it up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Hi Belle, All I can remember is that it was aleast over a year ago, and I'm not even 100% sure if it was on GS that I saw it. I do remember there being alist of well-known people like Edison, Enstein, Abraham Lincolin, Henry Ford, Bill Gates etc, a little bit of their backgrounds and how they didn't let the critics back them down.

Thanks for checking!!

Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

I am them resident "find it on the web" person at work and it's sort of a joke with me and a co-worker to race to see who can find stuff the fastest when it comes up.

I've been looking and found these. I'm not sure if any of them are what you're looking for, but if not, please let me know and I'll challenge my co-worker. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> One of us is bound to find it.

http://www.topachievement.com/persevere.html

http://www.refresher.com/!lsdynamic.html

http://www.sau.edu/presidentsoffice/salutetoacademics.htm

http://www.aish.com/SSI/articleToPrint.asp...l&torahportion=

Was it something like this?

quote:
Einstein was four years old before he could speak and seven before he could read.

Issac Newton did poorly in grade school.

Beethoven's music teacher once said of him, "As a composer, he is hopeless."

When Thomas Edison was a boy, his teachers told him he was too stupid to learn anything.

A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he had "no good ideas."

Caruso's music teacher told him: "You can't sing -- you have no voice at all."

Leo Tolstoy flunked out of college.

Louis Pasteur was rated as mediocre in chemistry when he attended the Royal College.

Abraham Lincoln entered the Black Hawk War as a Captain and came out as a private.

Winston Churchill failed the sixth grade.

I got these here

Well I persevered and found it but many thanks to Belle (those are some interesting sites) and Tom Strange ( I also checked out that site and that was very close to what I was looking for)

So here goes..............

Thomas Edison

>[IMG] Louis Pasteur was only a mediocre pupil in undergraduate studies and ranked 15th out of 22 students in chemistry

After his first audition, Sidney Poitier was told by the casting director, "Why don

Beethoven handled the violin awkwardly and preferred playing his own compositions instead of improving his technique. His teacher called him "hopeless as a composer." And, of course, you know that he wrote five of his greatest symphonies while completely deaf.

Van Gogh sold only one painting during his life. And this to the sister of one of his friends for 400 francs (approximately $50). This didn

RodinLeo Tolstoy flunked out of college. He was described as both "unable and unwilling to learn." No doubt a slow developer.

Emily Dickinson had only seven poems published in her lifetime

18 publishers turned down Richard Bach

21 publishers rejected Richard Hooker

27 publishers rejected Dr. Seuss

Jack London received six hundred rejection slips before he sold his first story

Gertrude Stein submitted poems to editors for nearly 20 years before one was finally accepted. See . . . a rose is a rose.

English crime novelist John Creasey got 753 rejection slips before he published 564 books

Bill Gates- first announced Windows in 1983, it was met with widespread criticism and was predicted to fail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's about it for now, I'm heading to Texas tomorrow to see my fiance (Goey) maybe I'll do some more while I'm down there!!

Cowgirl

You'll need to confirm the veracity of those.

I know, for example, Beethoven was never totally deaf when he composed

ANY of his works- that's a myth.

Here's one link on what some people say about Lincoln's "failures":

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/lincoln.htm

====

None of that negates the value of hard work and persistence.

It's a well-known saying in the music business that it takes seven years

of hard work to become "an overnight success".

JK Rowling HAS mentioned that many publishers turned down her manuscript

for Harry Potter.

Here's one link on her website. The last 3 paragraphs are relevant.

http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/biography.cfm

Here's a page that gives better examples:

http://lbarker.orcon.net.nz/rejection.html

Well, it's my job description so here goes:

While this sort of feelgood blather no doubt plays well at Amway meetings and the like, it sure makes lousy history. As Wordwolf already noted, if you look into many of the claims made, they simply don't stand up to scrutiny.

And, all of that notwithstanding, would anybody really WANT to emulate Abraham Lincoln's life? A (typical for the times, but nontheless) brutal childhood, he suffered from depression most of his adult life (he called it his "black dog" that followed him around), suffered the loss of his first love, a couple of his children, had a whack-o wife, spent 4 years sending thousands of boys off to die in a gut-wrenching, apocalyptic war, and ended up getting murdered at 56.

Somehow I have a hard time envying the life he led.

Issac Newton was an abject failure- at farming. Didn't have enough sense to lead a cow to pasture.. or repair broken fences. History records that he didn't have the sense to keep sheep penned up.. and would rather make machines.

No amount of effort would fix his "problem"..

Until they sent him off to the university.

Stuff like this makes me think there's still hope yet for me! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I don't think anyone wants to live someone else's life, just encouraged to know that others have overcome what appears to us as difficult, if no insurmountable, obstacles.