GreaseSpot Cafe

The Mysterious East

Pirate1974

If anybody doubts that the Oriental mind is quite different from the Western, I give you Exhibit A.

The Marton Restaurant in Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Marton comes from the Chinese word "matong" which means "toilet" giving the good people of Taiwan the world's first (and probably only) commode-themed eatery.

050630_taiwan_hmed_7a.hmedium.jpg

The ambience includes white ceramic toilet seats, bathtub tables, urinal lamps and food served in miniature toilets and Asian "squat pots." I have no idea what a squat pot is and I don't think I want to.

For some reason, people have been lining up for this experience. The food is the usual Asian fare, with chocolate ice cream being a particular favorite. God only knows why.

The owner and creator of this establishment is one Eric Wang, who has this to say:

"Diners come and walk away with the special experience. Many try to create more fun, stirring up curry and rice so it looks exactly like when you forget to flush the toilet. Then they gulp it down."

Right. Sure sounds like my idea of a good time.

I don't think this will ever play in Peoria.

LOL!

If I recall, a squat pot is used for beverage, of course primarily tea in this culture.

Not sure of that, but if memory serves.....

HA! What a hoot. Eating on toilets.

A few 9/10 year old kids I know would think this was awesome.

I find it interesting that they use WESTERN commodes! Though commodes are in use in the Orient, the traditional Asian toilet is not much more than a ceramic- or metal-covered trench that one squats over, rather than sitting upon. Think how much MORE exciting it would be to dine in THAT style!

George

You'd be surprised at what the '60's youth were known to do.

One year, instead of study or cafeteria duty, my duty period was hall monitor. I did what the name suggests.

One day I walked in to check a little used girl's room...and I found a party. There was a sign on the wall that was a birthday card...paper plates, napins, cups, forks on boards laid over the sink tops and a varied assortment of liquor on similar boards laid on the toilet seats. (this was a little used lavatory that the girls more or less reserved as a "smoker".)

I called the principal up to see it and he was neither amused nor amazed. He called the custodian to remove it all. This was done and over in 3rd period about 10:00. At 1:55 on my way back from my lunch, I checked in again...and all the booze had been replaces and so had the paper cups. The custodian cleared it again and the room was locked. It stayed that way for at least 5 years.