GreaseSpot Cafe

Its Field Day!

Ham

Well, the big day has (almost) finally arrived.

This is the ham version of Christmas and New Years

combined. Thousands of rabidly zealous radio operators this weekend will go out in the woods and public places and see what they can do.

Here is a link to some pictures we took of the event a couple of years ago. Be warned, if you are on dial up, you may be waiting a VERY long time for the pictures to load.

Field Day 2003

I am in one of the pictures. I'll let you try to figure out who, heh heh.

Even President Bush gets involved:

Field Day Announcement

It can be a competitive event, but the local group I am involved with is in it mostly for the fun.

Yes Steve, my QTH is Michigan.

This is one event that there is absolutely NO balance in my life. I know it is bad, but I have actually told people not to even think of dying for field day. May take a couple of days for me to figure out what to do with you..

Same for me though. I'd want the show to go on!

Been thinking about doing one of those living will things.. "In the event of my demise, it is my fervent desire that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should my final disposition in any way interfere with Field Day".

I participated in one back when I was in high school, quite the event it was!

I was on a 2-meter handheld, and through repeaters I was able to talk to someone 3 states away.

Our group also had some equipment for Novice class kids to use - a 40 kHz code key radio. The farthest state we got on that that day was California, I think.

Steve, they still have a linked repeater system here, and through it you can talk to people with a little hand held, from Ohio to Wisconsin.

For Field Day, I like the more "primitive" methods- morse code, no repeaters involved. Every year the older modes seem to outperform the newer voice and data modes.

I usually make more contacts on morse code, than all of the voice and data contacts by others, combined.

Eight WPM? Still, that's pretty good.

The FCC test only requires five.

In these contests, they huff along at about thirty WPM or so.

My first time in one of these things I had to listen to what they were sending about ten times or so before I could decipher it.

Now I can sit and listen to it like somebody is just talking to me.