GreaseSpot Cafe

pope's death vs vpw's death

nandon

It was an executive order, at least in regards to the Federal government buildings.

quote:
As a mark of respect for His Holiness Pope John Paul II, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half staff at the White House and on all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset on the day of his interment. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

As to civilian buildings and personal displays, that is probably just respect.

I think the greatest tributes that we can pay to Pope John Paul II are not the homages to the dead we that we offer here (although they are heart warming to read) but rather becoming the people that his legacy inspires in us.

Before his papacy one had to typically travel to the Vatican in order to have a audience with the Pope. Even then one had to present the right credentials in order to spend a few moments with the Holy Father.

This Pope left the comfortable confines and gilded appointments of the Vatican and took his show on the road to meet human suffering and injustice where it was occurring. He practiced a level of compassion and forgiveness that is only surpassed by that of Jesus when he visited his would be killer in prison to pray for and embrace him as a brother. He openly rejected the infallibilty of his predecessors when he openly acknowleged the Church's complicity in and indifference to the horrors of the holocaust in order to heal the rift between Jews and Catholics.

Will we answer God's call to leave our comfort zone to relieve suffering, offer hope, end injustice, practice forgiveness and most of all communicate His love? I can think of no more fitting a tribute that we can offer a great man of faith who lived in our midst.