GreaseSpot Cafe

Just wanted to know....

Cowgirl

Cowgirl,

MIDI files can be burned to a CD, but they won't play when you put the CD into a boombox. That's because a MIDI file is a data file that describes the notes of the tune and the instrument that plays them. The MIDI file has to be 'played' into a synthesizer (which can be part of the sound card in your computer) to make music.

There is a way to create a music CD of a MIDI tune that will play on your boombox. You have to install a software 'recorder' that will capture the output of the synthesizer and convert it to a .wav file. You can then use the .wav file to make a music CD. I've done this a couple of times for my daughter. She needed the accompanyment (which we were able to find as MIDI files) to some pieces she was practicing for chorus. I used a recorder program called 'Total Recorder'.

Jim's got it there. Not sure how basic you need to go. You need the cd burner and a blank cd. The burner will probably come with it's own software to use and burn cd's. Mine came with Nero. If you need software to burn it you can use Realplayer ver10, free from Microsoft here

I haven't used it specifically for midi files, but I'd think it should recognize that and burn it to cd.

RG, not sure. Real Player should burn it, I would think. What do you mean by can't burn them...they're not recognized? Or your cd burner won't complete the process...? I'm out for the morning, hope someone can supply a concrete answer.

quote:
Originally posted by Cowgirl:

I'm not even sure if I'm asking this right but is it possible to burn "midi files" onto a CD? If so, can you tell me how, please!

I forget the name of the program I used, but you can download something to convert a MIDI into either an MP3 or WAV file, which can be burned to a CD as a normal track. Google for it or go to download.com and see if you can find something decent.

quote:
Originally posted by RottieGrrrl:

Hey if someone can answer this, I'd like to know how come I can't "burn" realplayer on my CD burner. Found a great site with all the songs to JC Superstar, on RealPlayer, and I can download them to harddrive but can't "burn" them to my CD.

I can't really answer your question, but if I were you, I'd get rid of Realplayer ASAP. It's a horrible piece of crap, and it probably slows your computer down quite a bit. The people who programmed should be ashamed of themselves.

Wow, P-Mosh, I'm glad you said that. I downloaded RealPlayer on my old computer, which was a lot older and slower than the one I have now, and it totally flocked up my computer. I thought it was just cuz I didn't have enough oomph to support it. I think I'll get rid of it on my new one, too!

That's interesting, I've never had any trouble with Real Player. I have several players that I test audio files against to see how they sound against them. I'm using the IPod ITunes player a lot now which seems to work well. Windows Media Player is pretty much trouble free.

Yes, just copy the midi files into your burner software and they will burn onto a CD. But like was seaid earlier midi files are data file and they wont play on a cd or mp3 player.

TO do that you must first convert the midi file to a wave or mp3 file. Then you can make a music cd with either one of these.

To convert the midi file to a Mp3 - do this. (Asuming Windows XP.)

First, open up the Volume Control by double clicking on the little speaker. Click on "options" and then "properties" then "recording". Make sure the boxes are all checked. Then click "ok". The recording controls will now be open.

Next, Put the check in the "stereo mix" box. Then close the window. This allows the ouput if the sound card ( midi in this case) to also be the recording "input". Adjust the stereo mix volume about half way. This controls how loud it records and oy may need to be adjusted so leave this open.

Now open the Midi file that you want to convert into Media Player - stop it if it is playing. Leave Media Player open.

Now open Sound Recorder.

Adjust the windows so that the controld on both Media PLayer and Sound Recorder are visible. You may have to reduce the size of the windows to do that.

Now click on "record" on SOund recorder the immediately click Play on Media player. If all is set properly the midi file will now be recording. When the midi is done click stop on Sound Recorder. Then click "file" then "save as" then at the very bottom click "Change". Under "format" select MPEG Layer 3 then click "Ok" give a a file name, bit add .mp3 at the end, then under "save as type" select "all files". Then click "save"

You have now converted a midi file into an mp3. Easy, eh?

Oh and dont forget what folder you save the file into or you may never find it again.

BTW, this trick only works for midi files that are less than 60 seconds long because of the limitations of Sound Recorder, but most systems have a recording program that came with the sound card that replace Sound Recorder in the above steps.

Nice step by step Goey. There's a way to get around the 60 second limit - record a "blank" 60 second file and save it, call it 1, whatever. Then resave it and name it 2, etc. until you have enough total 60 second file pieces to cover the length you want to record for the new song.

Then open a NEW file and Go to EDIT and INSERT and insert each one of the files you previously saved. As you do the counter total will go up, do this until you have the length to cover what you want to record.

This will work from your "Now click on "record" step in your post above. All you've done is create a longer file to start with and you're going to record over it.

When you save the new song, it will just save the audio that's been recorded, and not any extra blank sound. I think - it's been a while since I did this, but I'm pretty sure it will save just what you're recorded in, using your steps above.