GreaseSpot Cafe

Explaining the real Easter to young children?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but earlier this week my 3 year old asked me what "Easter" was... I am lost at how to explain it to him in terms that he can understand.

I was able to somewhat explain Christmas to him this year. I was unpacking the nativity set and he was "helping". It was the perfect moment to tell him about baby Jesus... He "got it".

How do I explain that baby Jesus grew up and then died and was resurrected?

I don't want my kid thinking that Easter is about candy and rabbits and eggs... but I also don't want to scare him or even just talk over his head...

HELP!

That is a tough one, for someone so young.

Perhaps in the case of a 3 year old, chocolate bunnies and jelly beans isn't something so bad for now, until you feel he is ready or able to be exposed to or absorb the subject of death.

It all depends on the child, and you know him best. Has anyone among your family or friends passed away?

I mean, when you feel he's ready to learn about Jesus dying, you need not go into the grisly detail of a Mel Gibson movie.

And in Jesus' case, there's that happy "resurrection" ending, and "He lived happily ever after."

Follow your gut on this Chas. And don't beat yourself up if you decide not to tell him this year.

Danny

quote:
How do I explain that baby Jesus grew up and then died and was resurrected?

Maybe just tell him that. Once he starts asking quesions, you can see what he is thinking about -- and follow the train of thought he is on, and it may not be so complicated after all.

I never had kids, so I'm not experienced in talking to them like all you parents are.

However I do have to answer some "interesting" questions from my clients, and the simpler I make the answer, the better. If they don't *get* the answer, they ask another question or two and I see the drift their mind is taking, and can adjust to answer the way they are thinking by taking it one question at a time.

Hope that helps. Easter would be a hard one to describe vs. Christmas.

Good Luck!! smile.gif:)-->

David

I read an article in the paper yesterday how some parents - rather than chocolate Easter bunnies - are getting for their kids chocolate crosses - which I did see in stores last year.

Personally, it strikes me as rather tacky for such a powerful symbol. But I suppose one could make an argument in its favor on the basis of Jesus' "Bread of Life" metaphor in John - in which case, maybe sticky, hot cross-buns would be better.

Danny

quote:
I was able to somewhat explain Christmas to him this year. I was unpacking the nativity set and he was "helping". It was the perfect moment to tell him about baby Jesus... He "got it".

when i was a kid that age i wondered the nativity scene set under the christmas tree~~~

i also wondered what it was about. It was presented before me~~~ and here i am thinking about it again...

quote:
def59

Posted March 30, 2005 09:10

Song

this is a minor de-rail, but I owe you an apology. I got you confused with another poster and was poking fun at you when you were doing your stream of consciousness conversation with Mike on another thread.

def

def

Apology is accepted only if you agree no apology is necessary.

"...stream of consciousness..." ~~~ kinda reminds me skinny dippin with other skinny dippers late 60's>>> whoops, sorry, whoops sorry, as one floats around clothed with pond or pool or ocean, or stream water with others~~~

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->