GreaseSpot Cafe

My new book, “Manic Dawn”

Karl Kahler

Greetings to all “greasespots by midnight”! It’s Karl Kahler, and it’s been a while since I posted here. Hello to old friends and “mucho gusto” to new ones.

I’m the author of The Cult That Snapped: A Journey Into The Way International,” which is a memoir, history and exposé of what used to be one of the largest cults in America. I’m also a big fan of Charlene Edge’s book “Undertow,” and I salute all the brave souls who have written publicly about their experiences in The Way.   

I wanted to let you know that I’ve written a new book, “Manic Dawn: The Strange Adventures of a Mad Father and a Loyal Son.” This is the true story of my father’s nearly lifelong battle with an extreme case of manic bipolar disorder that got him into every kind of trouble imaginable, including seven years in prison and many unplanned visits to psychiatric wards. 

You might wonder what this has to do with The Way, but please read on, because it actually does.

Jerry Kahler was an international educator who raised a family in five countries and once played bridge with John Wayne. But in his mid-30s he began experiencing drastic changes of personality — he couldn’t sleep, couldn’t stop talking, couldn’t shut down the geyser of ideas constantly flooding his brain. 

In public he spoke to everyone who crossed his path, sometimes launching into speeches in front of crowds. He was supremely inspired, utterly confident and absolutely fearless. He came to believe he was God’s personal emissary on Earth, and he answered this call with the devotion of a saint and the fury of a demon.

Jerry was arrested perhaps 20 times and served seven years in prison in the United States and Costa Rica. Yet he was the uncommonest of criminals, one whose repeat offenses included disturbing the peace, resisting arrest and fleeing the police when they weren’t even chasing him.

When two armed police officers tried to handcuff Jerry at his home in Little Rock, he subdued both of them using a headlock and a leglock, prompting an “Officers down!” call to which 17 policemen responded. When confined to a rubber room in northwest Arkansas, Jerry set it on fire, prompting the evacuation of an entire psychiatric ward. When told by one examiner that he couldn’t smoke in the office because there was no ashtray, Jerry offered to eat his own ashes.

A fascinating exploration of the manic condition, this book is a harrowing descent into madness, and a son’s uncommonly intimate portrait of a troubled father. 

“Manic Dawn” also describes how I got involved in The Way, partly because my “earthly family” had splintered as a result of my father’s madness. Jerry actually took the PFAL class (when sane), but when manic he once broke into my “believer home” in the middle of the night and had to be forcibly ejected by my roommates. 

Dad once visited for lunch in the dining room at The Way College of Emporia, where I was in the 14th Corps, and he made a big splash during guest introductions with his outlandish personality. A couple of days later, he was arrested by Emporia police for slashing a plastic booth at a diner with a knife because he thought they overcharged him for a hamburger patty to give to his dog. All of this is in the book, which is full of stories that are sometimes shocking and sometimes hilarious.

“Manic Dawn” is now for sale on Amazon and other platforms as an e-book ($4.95) or paperback ($19.95). To find it on Amazon, go to https://shorturl.at/L0mbl. For more info, visit https://www.karlkahler.com/manicdawn. If you do order a copy, I hope you find it a rollicking good read! I look forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks all!

Manic Dawn Cover.jpeg

17 hours ago, Karl Kahler said:

Greetings to all “greasespots by midnight”! It’s Karl Kahler, and it’s been a while since I posted here. Hello to old friends and “mucho gusto” to new ones.

I’m the author of The Cult That Snapped: A Journey Into The Way International,” which is a memoir, history and exposé of what used to be one of the largest cults in America. I’m also a big fan of Charlene Edge’s book “Undertow,” and I salute all the brave souls who have written publicly about their experiences in The Way.   

I wanted to let you know that I’ve written a new book, “Manic Dawn: The Strange Adventures of a Mad Father and a Loyal Son.” This is the true story of my father’s nearly lifelong battle with an extreme case of manic bipolar disorder that got him into every kind of trouble imaginable, including seven years in prison and many unplanned visits to psychiatric wards. 

You might wonder what this has to do with The Way, but please read on, because it actually does.

Jerry Kahler was an international educator who raised a family in five countries and once played bridge with John Wayne. But in his mid-30s he began experiencing drastic changes of personality — he couldn’t sleep, couldn’t stop talking, couldn’t shut down the geyser of ideas constantly flooding his brain. 

In public he spoke to everyone who crossed his path, sometimes launching into speeches in front of crowds. He was supremely inspired, utterly confident and absolutely fearless. He came to believe he was God’s personal emissary on Earth, and he answered this call with the devotion of a saint and the fury of a demon.

Jerry was arrested perhaps 20 times and served seven years in prison in the United States and Costa Rica. Yet he was the uncommonest of criminals, one whose repeat offenses included disturbing the peace, resisting arrest and fleeing the police when they weren’t even chasing him.

When two armed police officers tried to handcuff Jerry at his home in Little Rock, he subdued both of them using a headlock and a leglock, prompting an “Officers down!” call to which 17 policemen responded. When confined to a rubber room in northwest Arkansas, Jerry set it on fire, prompting the evacuation of an entire psychiatric ward. When told by one examiner that he couldn’t smoke in the office because there was no ashtray, Jerry offered to eat his own ashes.

A fascinating exploration of the manic condition, this book is a harrowing descent into madness, and a son’s uncommonly intimate portrait of a troubled father. 

“Manic Dawn” also describes how I got involved in The Way, partly because my “earthly family” had splintered as a result of my father’s madness. Jerry actually took the PFAL class (when sane), but when manic he once broke into my “believer home” in the middle of the night and had to be forcibly ejected by my roommates. 

Dad once visited for lunch in the dining room at The Way College of Emporia, where I was in the 14th Corps, and he made a big splash during guest introductions with his outlandish personality. A couple of days later, he was arrested by Emporia police for slashing a plastic booth at a diner with a knife because he thought they overcharged him for a hamburger patty to give to his dog. All of this is in the book, which is full of stories that are sometimes shocking and sometimes hilarious.

“Manic Dawn” is now for sale on Amazon and other platforms as an e-book ($4.95) or paperback ($19.95). To find it on Amazon, go to https://shorturl.at/L0mbl. For more info, visit https://www.karlkahler.com/manicdawn. If you do order a copy, I hope you find it a rollicking good read! I look forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks all!

Manic Dawn Cover.jpeg

Thank you for letting us know about your book.  Your post reminded me of someone I personally knew with bipolar disorder about 3 decades ago when I was in twi.  She and her husband eventually went into the family corps with their three young children.  She did not do well living under the cultish and backstabbing conditions there. She ending up either leaving on her own or was kicked out (I can't remember which) while she was experiencing a manic episode and was immediately disowned by her husband who remained loyal to twi even after he had to leave the program.  He also would not allow their children to see her which broke her the most.  She eventually committed suicide. 

Having grown up with a strong love-hate relationship with my alcoholic father, I'm very interested in how your loyalty to your own father over the years played out.  I look forward to reading your book.

Thanks for your interest, Charity! I've done a fair amount of study on this, and no population on earth commits suicide at a higher rate than people with bipolar disorder. Even those who suffer only from major depression, without the often pleasant highs of mania, are not as likely to attempt this ghastly solution. 

I hope you love the book, and I welcome your review on Amazon!

• Like 1