GreaseSpot Cafe

The cones of 2024

GeorgeStGeorge

Hiya, Milton!

Damn that one just popped right up out of nowhere, didn't it.

Buckle up, Florida. This is the one WE'RE talking for years to come while other states remember Helene.

image.png

24 minutes ago, Raf said:

A slow mover too. That'll be much worse

Yeah.  There's a rule of thumb that says the inches of rain you can expect equals 60 divided by the (translational) speed of the storm in mph. 3 mph becomes 20 inches.  And that doesn't include storm surge or wind damage.

Praying for you guys.

George

Because of the counterclockwise rotations of northern hemisphere storms, north and east of a storm is the "dirty side," whereas south and west are the "clean side," for the western Gulf.  With the Florida peninsula, it would depend on whether the storm is in the Gulf or the Atlantic.  I doubt there IS a "clean side."

George

So, everybody OK?  (Well, not everybody, obviously, but everybody at GSC?)  I have a friend in the Bradenton area who lost power for a few hours but is back at full power now.

Things should be winding down on the east coast now.  It appears that even Bermuda will avoid the storm.

George

We expected tropical storm conditions in my neck of the woods and didn't even get that. Some strong overnight winds, but that's it.

Most of the GSers who would have been affected don't post much here anymore.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raf said:

We expected tropical storm conditions in my neck of the woods and didn't even get that. Some strong overnight winds, but that's it.

Most of the GSers who would have been affected don't post much here anymore.

Heard from a few on FB. Of those, they're all fine. I did learn that an old friend in western NC, who was dealing with some aftermath of Helene was killed when he was trying to protect his home from downed tree damage. Gut wrenching sadness there. 

13 hours ago, Rocky said:

Heard from a few on FB. Of those, they're all fine. I did learn that an old friend in western NC, who was dealing with some aftermath of Helene was killed when he was trying to protect his home from downed tree damage. Gut wrenching sadness there. 

My condolences.  

George

20 hours ago, Rocky said:

Very sorry to hear about your friend Rocky.