GreaseSpot Cafe

Testimony: Ricky Gervais

I really like this video because Stephen Colbert is in charge and could have steamrolled over Ricky Gervais but instead he chose the path of respect.

This is not a formal debate, but I have always been impressed with RG as a lay spokesman for atheism.

Edited by Raf
  • Like 1

• Raf changed the title to Testimony: Ricky Gervais

Thanks for bringing up Ricky Gervais.  I enjoyed listening to some of his videos last night.  Found this site of his quotes - it's funnier to hear him say them, but here, they're in one place. 

Quotes by Gervais

Hearing an atheist with a sense of humor talk about atheism is like enjoying a walk in the rain without an umbrella on a warm day - refreshing and nonconforming.

23 hours ago, Raf said:

Another interesting Ricky video

Not exactly sure why it's not just popping up, but ok.

Such a sound, rational video both verbally and visually.  It has a different effect than when you hear him say the same things in a comedic way - here, they invoke contemplation, openness and hopefully a desire to discuss them logically - like this one:

"I used to believe in God. The Christian one, that is (There are a few thousand to choose from. But I was born in a country where the dominant religion was Christianity so I believed in that one. Isn't it weird how that always happens?). Luckily I was also interested in science and nature. And reason and logic. And honesty and truth. And equality and fairness. By the age of eight I was an atheist."

I find the criteria he mentions and his young age at the time outstanding.  How many children are told these criteria can be met through believing in a narcissistic, vengeful and inventor-of-death heavenly father and soak it up like a sponge?