GreaseSpot Cafe

VPW's Motorcycle that we "gifted' to him

14 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

"What are we going to do with 200 Chevy Citations and 5,000 betamaxc machines?"

They may have a few betamax machines.  Most were supposed to be bought locally. All expenses were paid for out-of-pocket by everyone on the field. All vcrs were bought and maintained locally. All classes were held in places rented by, or owned by, locals.  So, locals everywhere were SOL when the decision to go betamax yielded the result of a dead-end system that nobody else used.   That decision was made by someone who had a 50/50 chance of making the right decision, and supposedly heard from God Almighty before making any decisions, or, indeed, opening his mouth.

• Upvote 1

At one point, they had some sort of connection that allowed them to buy the Betamax machines at a discounted volume price. Certain believers were offered a chance to get in on the deal and buy their own at the low, low price of only $800. :doh:

19 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

I haven't seen one in years. It's funny now but at the time when LCM said I would have one someday after I am ordained, I thought that sounded like a sweet deal. 

One might reasonably surmise that to be the reason he said it. :wink2:

On 7/4/2024 at 9:07 AM, WordWolf said:

They may have a few betamax machines.  Most were supposed to be bought locally. All expenses were paid for out-of-pocket by everyone on the field. All vcrs were bought and maintained locally. All classes were held in places rented by, or owned by, locals.  So, locals everywhere were SOL when the decision to go betamax yielded the result of a dead-end system that nobody else used.   That decision was made by someone who had a 50/50 chance of making the right decision, and supposedly heard from God Almighty before making any decisions, or, indeed, opening his mouth.

IMO, not only did decision makers at HQ not "get revelation" for making good decisions, they apparently also lacked good business sense as well as sound foresight. Especially concerning disruptive technological innovation and the accelerating nature thereof. Just sayin'. :doh: :wink2:

14 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

Oh the promises he made me. car, salary, staff, house. Foolishly it prevented me from going to college. I had an involuntary "gap year". 

I hope you eventually did go to college.

22 hours ago, Junior Corps Surviver said:

I did but his offer derailed me for two years. I was foolish for listening to him. 

Yeah, I get it. However, you became the you that you are because of the decision that you made. :wink2:

IOW, I look at the fact that I didn't graduate from college until I was 31 differently, though my detours were both US military service and TWI.

I lived some life and gained some insight I wouldn't have been able to if not for the experiences, good and bad, I had as a young adult. :love3:

Ultimately, I expect to reach my 70th birthday this year. I'm a survivor. My first introduction to twi was in October 1974.

• Like 1