GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

14 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

PS  Topo Gigio was a puppet mouse in a recurring skit with Sullivan.  WW was joking, of course.

George

That's why I suggested I was being thrown out for saying that.  "Don't bother, I'll let myself out." Although it is technically true that Topo Gigio did do a group song once on the Ed Sullivan Show, calling it rock and roll round be wildly inaccurate.   If you want to see The Ed Sullivan Show, there's a free channel for it available on both Plex AND Pluto TV, both of which are free online television sources.

On 10/2/2024 at 8:28 PM, Human without the bean said:

I know this one George, but I'm going to wait for someone else to respond.

Alright then.  The first team to win the World Series in baseball were the Boston Americans playing a best of nine game series and winning five of those games to three over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Now FREE POST

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Alright then.  The first team to win the World Series in baseball were the Boston Americans playing a best of nine game series and winning five of those games to three over the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Now FREE POST

Correct.  The Boston Americans (featuring Cy Young) later became the Boston Red Sox.  Pittsburgh features Honus Wagner.

George

All right.  Try this one.  Must get them ALL to win.

What cereals had (or have) the following mascots:

1. Buzz the Bee
  2. Lucky the Leprechaun
  3. Snap, Crackle, and Pop
  4. The Rabbit
  5. Tony the Tiger
  6. Toucan Sam
  7. Sugar Bear
  8. Sunny the Sun

(At least six of them are pretty easy.  I avoided characters with the same name as the cereal, like Cap'n Crunch or Frankenberry.)

George

14 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

All right.  Try this one.  Must get them ALL to win.

What cereals had (or have) the following mascots:

1. Buzz the Bee
  2. Lucky the Leprechaun
  3. Snap, Crackle, and Pop
  4. The Rabbit
  5. Tony the Tiger
  6. Toucan Sam
  7. Sugar Bear
  8. Sunny the Sun

(At least six of them are pretty easy.  I avoided characters with the same name as the cereal, like Cap'n Crunch or Frankenberry.)

George

I'm going to take a shot at all of them, including ones I'm not sure about at all. Oh, you WANTED the clean sweep. OK, I'm going for it.

1- Honey Nut Cheerios

2- Frosted Lucky Charms (are magically delicious.)

3- Rice Krispies

4- Trix (Silly rabbit, Trix are made for kids. Although I did vote for you to get to try some!)

5- Azucaritas (OK, that's the name here, and it's the same mascot. "FROSTED FLAKES.")

6- Froot Loops (Here, they're called "Froot Loops.")

7- Super Sugar Crisp/Super Golden Crisp.  (The name changed when they wanted to draw attention away from sugary ingredients. One comedian wondered if they would change his name to "Golden Bear" to match the cereal.)

8- Raisin Bran. (That's a sun carrying 2 scoops of raisins.  Hey, must be the sun because he's drying the grapes into raisins. Never thought of that before.)

Say, do you know Cap'n Crunch's FIRST NAME? His last name is "Crunch", he actually has a first name.

11 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Correct on all counts.  I do not know the Captain's first name.

George

He's Captain HORATIO Crunch.

BTW, I wonder how many people remember the short-lived change to Sugar Bear. For a few months, he had the ability to hulk out as "Super Bear."  A few months later, they dropped it. Must not have been very popular around the office.

Meanwhile, me and Quentin Tarantino miss "Fruit Brute." He was the werewolf mascot for the fruit-flavored monster cereal. Then they got rid of him and brought the cereal back as "Yummy Mummy."

(I meant Fruit Brute was the mascot, not Tarantino.)

On 10/9/2024 at 4:58 AM, Human without the bean said:

His full name is Horatio Magellan Crunch and he captains the ship, the Guppy.

I just found out he had a MIDDLE name.  The 70s had cool cereal mascots. Now people are worried that some people get offended if breakfast cereal has a mascot.  But, really, is Tony the Tiger hurting anyone?

A long time ago, in an election year, Trix had a smart advertising campaign.  It was a campaign. Kids could vote! We were voting on whether or not the Trix Rabbit would be able to have some Trix or not.  I voted he should have some.  Several months later, the commercials announced the result, and he got a free pass to have some Trix for one commercial...after which it was going to be off-limits for him again, since Trix are made for kids.  But, hey, I honestly think they abided by the election results, and had 2 concepts ready for the commercial, depending on the election result.

Here's a new question.

After a certain event, a few people commented. Probably the most anomalous one was from Penn Gillette (of Penn & Teller, that Penn.)  He said that his one thought afterwards was that they were beaten to the punch in that someone else had already thought of a campaign where you could have the public phone a 900 number and decide whether or not to kill your partner.

Calling a 900 number, and a partner dying or not, depending on the vote?  About what was Penn Gillette speaking?

The death of Robin (specifically, Jason Todd)?  I remember that I was evacuating from Hurricane Gilbert, or else I might have called.  DC is currently running a miniseries "Robin Lives" to show what might have happened had the Joker NOT killed Jason.

George

8 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The death of Robin (specifically, Jason Todd)?  I remember that I was evacuating from Hurricane Gilbert, or else I might have called.  DC is currently running a miniseries "Robin Lives" to show what might have happened had the Joker NOT killed Jason.

George

Yes.

For the benefit of the other posters, I will explain. 

When Batman was invented, he was a solo act. He was one of the early heroes to get a teenage sidekick. (For a time, everybody got one, but most of those heroes have been put out to pasture.)   So, Batman got Robin. Robin was Dick Grayson, the youngest son of the acrobats "the Flying Graysons", killed by a criminal.  (Robin later snapped the photo that ensured Tony "Boss" Zucco got The Chair for that.)   Eventually, he got older, and the Boy Wonder became the Teen Wonder. He went to college and led the Titans. Eventually, he gave up being Robin because he wasn't a sidekick anymore. With a name and costume that were nods to Superman and Batman, Dick Grayson became "Nightwing." 

Meanwhile, in the Batman comic, we got Jason Todd, who was basically a Dick Grayson clone with a different name. Then came "Crisis on Infinite Earths." After that, everyone's backstory changed, usually just getting shorter. With Jason Todd, they took the liberty of making him very different. He was now a streetwise kid who acted before he thought. Batman discovered him when Jason tried to boost the Batmobile's tire.  Batman tried to channel his energy into being a hero, but Jason was still reckless. (And worse, nobody liked the new Jason. Some people thought he'd stolen DG's place despite DG having a new place, and in general, he was an annoying character.)

So, DC wrote a 4-part story, "Death in the Family." Jason discovered his birth mother wasn't who he thought, and went on a search to find her. Batman trailed him, but didn't catch up to him completely. She was working for the Joker, who was going to let her die in an explosion.  Robin caught up to her, but the Joker beat him with a crowbar and left him for dead. Jason got up, and went to try to disarm the bomb, and realized there wasn't enough time.  The view went to outside, where Batman caught up.  Part 2 ended in a cliffhanger, with Batman outside the explosion. Did Jason Todd survive the explosion, or did it kill him?   DC ran 2  1-900 numbers. For each call to one or the other, a vote was cast. They had 2 completed comics ready to accompany the next cover, which asked if he survived. The vote just barely went to killing him off, so the comic had Batman recover the body, then go after the Joker.

For the curious, Batman was solo for a while, then DC introduced Tim Drake, a much more likeable detective type, who DG treated as a younger brother and who became the next Robin.  That was the first teen Robin who started with the long pants. (He also learned to use a staff when fighting, so can be seen carrying one, and wearing a much more protective costume, complete with a cape that was yellow on the inside, black on the outside for sneaking around. (The red and green of the costume were also darker shades, and he got black martial arts tabi boots.)

So, there was a big fuss about the 900# thing, and even when they did a trade paperback collecting the story, there was a fuss. Penn Gillette was quoted on that, having commented when the actual event happened.

So, it's George's turn!

I'm going to be on vacation from tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday, so I'll answer this and leave it as a FREE POST.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had 386 offensive yards while losing 41-0 to New Orleans on 2/16/2012.  At least a dozen teams have had over 300 yards without scoring.  Interestingly, the Detroit Lions did it twice in the same year, having 334 yards while losing to the St. Louis Rams 35-0 on 10/8/2001 and 332 yards while losing to the Chicago Bears 24-0 on 12/30/2001.

One wonders how this happens.  With that many yards, the teams have to at least have gotten into field goal range.  Without the game transcripts, I can assume it was a mixture of missed field goals, turnovers, and failure to convert on fourth down.

George