GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

There's no need for that George.  So two guys in the 70's both leaders of the university campus group called "The Pale and Shovels' were campaigning for seats in the student government promise ing  to convert the school budget into pennies and dump them in the Library Mall where then, students with pales and shovels could take them away as they wished.  It worked and they were elected to the states Student Association.  In the cover of night they played a prank, covering a prominent hill with 1008 plastic pink flamingos.  The city has taken to the birds;  becoming the professional soccer (football) teams official logo, shops have embraced them prominently on murals and gifts shops around the city.

Those guys were students at UW-Madison, the capital city of Wisconsin.  There has been no word whether or not they turned the budget at UW-Madison into pennies.

10 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"????

No WordWolf.  That was released in 1973.  I'm sure it has gone platinum multiple times over. but they would have been vinyl or cassette and before the era of CD's arriving in 1982.  I think Billy Joel's 52nd Street was the first commercial CD released in Japan in 1982.  This group was an British American rock band.  And it's not Fleetwood Mac.

20 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

No WordWolf.  That was released in 1973.  I'm sure it has gone platinum multiple times over. but they would have been vinyl or cassette and before the era of CD's arriving in 1982.  I think Billy Joel's 52nd Street was the first commercial CD released in Japan in 1982.  This group was a British American rock band.  And it's not Fleetwood Mac.

Invisible Touch, Genesis?

A great guess.   I did a little exploring and found that The album "The Joshua Tree" was the first new album to be released on CD, vinyl and cassette tape all at the same time.  I still think "Billy Joel's "52nd Street" was the very first.  Okay so let's try to narrow it down some then.  As it would happen, when a group of rock artists were recording their eponymous title song to their album, its band leader and songwriter said to one of his fellow band mates, I wish we could get "somebody" to sing on the song.  That "somebody" was in the same place on vacation as they were recording.

The song was already completed so they just had an iconic rock star singer to sing a lyric in the background.  That singer was already a giant in rock and the band had been hoping that their new album would put themselves back into the mix with other great bands after a bit of a lull.  That bit of being at the right place at the right time for them, took the hit single, the album, and the band into another stratosphere.

Edited by Human without the bean

On 9/29/2024 at 6:19 PM, WordWolf said:

Still lost here. "ROCKWELL?"

I'm not sure what stratosphere they (he) are in?

Anyway, I was going to give another clue but it's doubtful it would make any difference.  The British American rock band ~Dire Straits~ were on a bit of a lull musically when they got together, after some time off to produce an album.  Front man and lead singer Mark Knopfler, was in a department store when he overheard some guys who were complaining about their job while watching MTV.  Knopfler got a piece of paper and starting writing things down;  a television/custom kitchen/refigerator delivery,  What are those Hawaiian noises?  That ain't workin'. 

He wrote the song right in the department store.  Many of the lyrics from "Money for Nothing" were things they actually said.    You can guess the rest now and that song is "Money for Nothing" from Dire Straits album "Brother's in Arms" the first album in the CD format to sell a million copies.   Adding the presence of Sting with his in falsettos voice singing backup vocals  "I want my MTV" probably didn't hurt the success of the album although there are many other hits on it.  

Again, if I don't post something in the next 24 hours, please feel free to post, if you have something.

11 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

I'm not sure what stratosphere they (he) are in?

Anyway, I was going to give another clue but it's doubtful it would make any difference.  The British American rock band ~Dire Straits~ were on a bit of a lull musically when they got together, after some time off to produce an album.  Front man and lead singer Mark Knopfler, was in a department store when he overheard some guys who were complaining about their job while watching MTV.  Knopfler got a piece of paper and starting writing things down;  a television/custom kitchen/refigerator delivery,  What are those Hawaiian noises?  That ain't workin'. 

He wrote the song right in the department store.  Many of the lyrics from "Money for Nothing" were things they actually said.    You can guess the rest now and that song is "Money for Nothing" from Dire Straits album "Brother's in Arms" the first album in the CD format to sell a million copies.   Adding the presence of Sting with his in falsettos voice singing backup vocals  "I want my MTV" probably didn't hurt the success of the album although there are many other hits on it.  

Again, if I don't post something in the next 24 hours, please feel free to post, if you have something.

I thought of "Rockwell" because his one hit was a hit mostly due to the chorus being sung by Michael Jackson.  I had no idea that Sting did the "I want my, I want my, I want my MTV" but I can hear it now that I'm listening for it.  I know Dire Straits had albums before "Brothers in Arms" but I tend to underestimate how long it was between "Dire Straits" and that album.  I keep thinking of "Making Movies" as a successful album because I liked it.

10 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The first World Series was played in 1903.  What were the two teams, and which one won?

(Note: both teams are currently in existence, though one underwent a name change shortly afterwards.)

George

I know this one George, but I'm going to wait for someone else to respond.