GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

3 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Supposing that's one thing, I suspect it's The Washington Monument. (The other obelisks I know are smaller.)

It is the Washington Monument.  555 ft. & 5 1/8 in.  It is also the tallest structure in Washington D.C. and because of The Heights of Buildings act in 1910 capping the height of future structures in Washington D.C. to 160 ft.,  it will stay as the highest in our nations capitol.  

Neat.

Because it's on my mind, the next question....

Washington DC (with the Washington Monument) is not the only city that currently has an obelisk.  Not counting little statue-sized things of 2 stories or less, name at least TWO cities that currently have obelisks, and name the obelisks, if possible.  (I can name 4 off the top of my head.)

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Cairo?

George

*checks* Yes, there's an obelisk there, and it's inside the city, so that counts.

Actually, there's a LOT of obelisks out there, and Cairo and Rome each are cities with several.

The ones I was thinking of originally were the ones called "Cleopatra's Needle" (despite having no connection to her), in the Vatican, London, and New York City.  I was also thinking of "The Obelisk" (El Obelisco) in downtown Buenos Aires. It's around 1/2 the height of the Washington Monument. As it's in the middle of a city, it looks taller than it might if it was surrounded by empty space like the WM.   There's plenty of other obelisks I had no idea existed, but I knew those 4 in particular.  (I've seen the ones in DC and BA, Benny Hill sometimes mentioned the one in London, and "Babylon Mystery Religion", IIRC, made a big deal about the one in St Peter's Square.

So, having named 2 cities, George had the right answer, and George is up.

Yes!

Current electrolytic methods allow aluminum to be manufactured economically, but when the Washington Monument was built, aluminum was as costly as silver.

The capSTONE of the monument weighs about 3000 lbs. but the aluminum cap at the very top weighs about 100 ounces.  It cost $225 in 1884, or about $7200 in today's dollars.  It was the largest single piece of cast aluminum up to that time.

FYI, the current price of aluminum is about one dollar per pound (enough to make 32 cans).

George

Recycling aluminum is important because separating aluminum from ore is a costly, difficult process, compared to the other metals.  So recycling aluminum cans is a LOT more cost-effective than recycling other metals, which is why it's done a lot more than other metals.  (Although recycling metals in general is a good idea.)

I suspect aluminum was chosen because of its properties concerning rust. It actually rusts so efficiently that the rust on the surface acts as a barrier to rusting farther down.  If steel beams rust, they can collapse a bridge, but aluminum rusts on the surface and doesn't affect its structure. Further, to the casual eye, rusted aluminum looks the same as non-rusted aluminum.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

New question, probably easy.

The original Olympics, of course, were in Greece.  The modern Olympics were first held in what country?

You're right WordWolf, that is easy.  It's the same country.  Greece.

I've got something.

Edited by Human without the bean
edited for reasons unknown

Okay, now I think I'm up.

Anthony Hopkins and Martha Stewart were an item, dating for about a year or so in 1990-91.  Although probably not a power couple, what brought Martha Stewart to cut it off with Hopkins?