GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

This may make it obvious, but so be it:

A prototype version of the poster for this movie had the star in a completely different outfit from the traditional one worn by her character. (The new version was much more "80s": shorts, curly hair and a headband.) Thinking that this would be the final version for the movie, the owner of that character's franchise adopted the new look, only to have the movie feature the traditional outfit.

Brooke Shields and Melanie Griffith were early choices the title role.

The role of the witch was offered to Dolly Parton, who said she could never play a witch. :rolleyes: Jane Fonda and Goldie Hawn also turned down the role.

Dudley Moore turned down a $4 million offer to play a part. He suggested his old partner, Peter Cook, for another role, which Cook did take.

George

Does "Cook" go by another name?

Because this sounds like Supergirl

Now that you mention it, it does sound like it.

Supergirl wore the new outfit during Crisis on Infinite Earths, IIRC.

(She didn't wear it after because she died in CoIE.

But, decades later, she got better, apparently.)

Does "Cook" go by another name?

Because this sounds like Supergirl

Peter Cook is (AFAIK) only Peter Cook. You might be confusing him with another Peter (O'Toole) who also starred in the same movie, which was, in fact "Supergirl." (I was mistaken, by the way. The "new" costume had a miniskirt, not shorts.)

I had no idea just HOW MANY outfits Supergirl has sported over the years. Check THIS out.

George

At one of the earlier stages of its development, this movie was going to be a stage musical. That idea was scrapped, but one song survived and is sung by a significant supporting character.

The actor who plays the title character has another small role in the movie: He's the unseen pilot of the airplane that carries the hero from one continent to another. While most of the title actor's lines are not audible, you can hear him clearly say, "This is your captain speaking..." over the plane's loudspeaker.

Let's see:

The lead actor, who recently died, did not play the title character.

The movie is technically a sequel, but it's a sequel to a well known story, not to any particular adaptation of it.

There is no lead actress, but a prominent actress in the movie had an assistant whose entire job was making sure the bottom of the actress' feet stayed clean. And that was reasonable.

The hero and the villain were both played by Oscar winning actors. One won his Oscar before, the other after.

This movie was nominated for 4 Academy Awards, and won one.

Its musical score includes a song so famous and so connected to the movie that

many people could name the movie in THREE NOTES (others would need more),

or just the drums. Fans of classical music could do as well with other

music from the movie.

The critics were sharply divided as to whether it was a major breakthrough

or sterile and banal, although it did win a Hugo Award.

This movie was nominated for 4 Academy Awards, and won one.

Its musical score includes a song so famous and so connected to the movie that

many people could name the movie in THREE NOTES (others would need more),

or just the drums. Fans of classical music could do as well with other

music from the movie.

The critics were sharply divided as to whether it was a major breakthrough

or sterile and banal, although it did win a Hugo Award.

In its premiere screening, 241 people walked out on it, with one actor

saying "Would someone tell me what the hell this is about?"

One of the writers said outright they wanted to raise more questions

than answers.

In the first 25 minutes and the last 23 minutes of this movie, there is

no dialogue- just musical score.

This movie's theatrical run had a rare incidence of people going to see

the movie multiple times- in this case, taking psychotropic drugs and

watching later parts of the movie while under their influence.

Edited by WordWolf

It is not "Tommy."

"Tommy" wouldn't have been a choice for a Hugo Award because science fiction fans

are not guaranteed to be fans of The Who or rock and roll.

And the two M's would indeed be close, but not exact.

I didn't pay close enough attention. I know that a Hugo Award is for Sci-Fi.

As I recall, "2001: A Space Odyssey" began and ended with music, and I sure didn't know what it was about when I saw it.

The first three notes of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" are recognizable, and probably better known as the theme to 2001.

If that IS the answer, I don't get the two M's reference.

George

I didn't pay close enough attention. I know that a Hugo Award is for Sci-Fi.

As I recall, "2001: A Space Odyssey" began and ended with music, and I sure didn't know what it was about when I saw it.

The first three notes of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" are recognizable, and probably better known as the theme to 2001.

If that IS the answer, I don't get the two M's reference.

George

That's the movie.

In Roman numerals, "MM" would be "2000", which is ALMOST 2001.

Peter Bart's book "The Gross" covered the film's unfolding disaster in great detail. Among other facts: Warner Brothers greenlit the film largely on the strength of a star-packed cast and their appreciation of Jeremiah Chechik's work on Diabolique (1996) and were horrified when seeing what the first cut was like. The first screening took place in front of a "largely Spanish-speaking, working class" audience in Phoenix, AZ who hated the film; the studio then forced Chechik to cut many of his favorite scenes and conduct reshoots; and the final cut went from 115 to 89 minutes and was completely incoherent. The studio even refused to hold further test screenings, or to have an official premiere before the film's August 1998 release.

Mel Gibson was originally considered for the male lead.

Gwynneth Paltrow and Nicole Kidman turned down the female lead.

George

Wild swing in lieu of other clues: "Ishtar"?

No.

The movie was based on a popular TV series. One of the series stars declined a role in the film. The other is in the film, but you can't see him.

A major star had a prominent role in the film. The poor box-office of this film and his next one induced him to quit show business.

Peter Bart's book "The Gross" covered the film's unfolding disaster in great detail. Among other facts: Warner Brothers greenlit the film largely on the strength of a star-packed cast and their appreciation of Jeremiah Chechik's work on Diabolique (1996) and were horrified when seeing what the first cut was like. The first screening took place in front of a "largely Spanish-speaking, working class" audience in Phoenix, AZ who hated the film; the studio then forced Chechik to cut many of his favorite scenes and conduct reshoots; and the final cut went from 115 to 89 minutes and was completely incoherent. The studio even refused to hold further test screenings, or to have an official premiere before the film's August 1998 release.

George

The villain's name was originally to be Sir August Merriweather, but it was changed to Sir August DeWynter.

The movie had several elements from the old TV show, especially from the episodes "The House That Jack Built," "A Surfeit of H2O," "The Town of No Return," and "False Witness."

The movie was based on a popular TV series. One of the series stars declined a role in the film. The other is in the film, but you can't see him.

A major star had a prominent role in the film. The poor box-office of this film and his next one induced him to quit show business.

George