GreaseSpot Cafe

songs remembered from just one line

bulwinkl

On 7/29/2024 at 7:45 AM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

He's a magician.  "Magic Man"?

George

Correct!

On the R&B charts,  it did VERY well.  It crossed over enough that I heard it a lot.  It's quite good.

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

For reference, who sang "Magic-Man" besides 'Heart'?

According to Wikipedia, the Heart song "Magic Man" was also covered by Dolly Parton with Ann Wilson in 2023 for Dolly Parton's  musicalbum "Rockstar."

On 7/28/2024 at 10:08 PM, WordWolf said:

It's not an obscure song. It's about 40 years old, or older.  It shares its title with a song from "Heart."

Based on the opening line, how would you describe the singer?

This song was not the same song as the one Heart did, but they had the same name. I dislike when that happens, but what can I do?  Some artists don't care if that happens.  (Four Non-Blondes released their one hit as "What's Up?" because they didn't want to get it confused with Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On?" despite that being in the lyrics of both songs.)

"Robert Winters & Fall" released "Magic Man" about 43 years ago, in 1981. It was the title cut of an album obviously by the same name.

"Do It Any Way You Want" also charted, so Robert Winters was not a one-hit wonder. 

15 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

"Here come old flat-top, he come groovin' up slowly."

George

"Come Together."

Oddly enough, I'm more familiar with Aerosmith's cover of the song than the Beatles' original release. Aerosmith included it on Volume 1 of their Greatest Hits.

The name of the song is commonly known but probably thought of as "Have you seen my wife Mr. Jones", but it is not.

Admittingly, I had to look on ~Bee Gees Timeless~ album which I own, to remember the title which is "New York Mining Disaster 1941".  I wouldn't consider it cheating, (but idk, maybe it is)  own the   It's a difficult title to come up with off the top of your head.

Edited by Human without the bean