GreaseSpot Cafe

Brain Development Question

Sushi

Abi - there's a book about called, "Raising the Gifted Child." It does describe many of the same things that Rocky and Krys have been talking about, along with the issues you have cited.

ab, i think you asked for different terms to search

i was reading about Semantic Pragmatic Disorder and one article mentioned its relation to early hearing impairment as well as delayed social development

now if i could only find the article

don't know if this will help but maybe it will lead to other links

ab, i think you asked for different terms to search

i was reading about Semantic Pragmatic Disorder and one article mentioned its relation to early hearing impairment as well as delayed social development

now if i could only find the article

don't know if this will help but maybe it will lead to other links

Wow ExC - you may really be onto something with this!!!!!!!! I am reading and totally fascinating, it is so descriptive of what goes on with Jacob, now I am even wondering if ADHD isn't a misdiagnosis. I will definitely be discussing this with his pediatricain and the assessment team at school!!!!!!

There is one main discrepency though, in that kids with this disorder often do not have much of an imagination and Jacob most certainly has an incredible imagination. However, I still think it is worth checking into.

Edited by Abigail

Try these sites for more information. Even if they don't describe Jacob, they may give you terms and other ideas for searching.

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/index.htm

http://childparenting.about.com/od/intelle...pment/index.htm

http://www.aspergers.com/

I would also suggest a couple of things. One, find him after school activities where kids of different ages come together in areas he is interested in. (If he likes animals, find a Junior Naturalists group, for example.) It has been my experience that children who don't do well in their own age group often do just fine with older and younger kids.

The other thing might be to find a "whole body" sport for him, such as swimming, gymnastics, or martial arts, to enhance overall strength and coordination and its connection to cognitive skills. Preferably a class where he will improve his own skills, not a team situation where he will be derided for not focusing or not scoring.

Regards,

Shaz

Wow! ex and Abi, that sounds similar to ME growing up. :biglaugh: Don't mean to scare you, Abi.

Even today I still have some of those same signs. Especially the loud noise, peripheral noise and accusations of selective hearing. Others I may have and not recognize.

(((((FullCircle))))) - we're not all on here at the same time, so I didn't have a chance to read or respond to your post. Also, others may have read it and not known what or how to comment - still others may have wanted to comment, but wanted to take time to think about it. We're not going to get responses to all our posts directly all the time. It doesn't mean they aren't read or helpful. :cryhug_1_:

And I liked this list of problems that many gifted kids share:

http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content...ent_gifted.html

The trick is not to make the gifted child into someone who needs to be catered to, but rather to give them more advanced things to do after they have shown competency with the subject matter at hand.

HTH,

Shaz

Edited by shazdancer

FullCircle, I am sorry you felt the need to delete what you wrote. I did read it and found it very encouraging. There have been so many wonderful and helpful responses to my question that I have had a difficult time keeping up and processing it all - hence, it took so long for me to comprehend what Rocky, Krys and some were saying as well.