GreaseSpot Cafe

Hunter Thompson

TOMMYZ

After reading the link Shellon provided, I can't help but wonder if Bush winning the election might have pushed him over the edge. I also couldn't help comparing him to Ernest Hemmingway, who was 61 when he killed himself and had a host of medical problems. Not really familiar with Thompson, though.

HT possessed a facility with the language that rivals that of the most accomplished

writers. While some criticized him for his habit of imposing himself on top of whatever topic it was he as supposed to be writing about (aka "gonzo" journalism) I was never left wanting for entertainment , laughs, and a refreshing perspective on a variety of topics.

I just finished reading "the Great Shark Hunt" which has excerpts from many of his major works. Also I must have read "Hells Angels" about 30 times now and each time I do I walk away with something new (of course people said that about PFAL but mostly because everyone else said the same thing so they didn't want to seem like a dolt).

And others didn't like his open use of drugs and alcohol neither of which diminshed what I feel to be a fierce intelligence and talent for writing that is a source of envy for many. A great writer for sure....