GreaseSpot Cafe

Good bye Poetry Tulip

mstar1

St. Pete Times

CHATTOOGAVILLE, Ga. - Poetry Tulip has vanished. So have Due West and Po Biddy Crossroads. Cloudland and Roosterville are gone, too.

A total of 488 communities have been erased from Georgia's official map.....

Gone are places such as Dewy Rose, Hemp, Experiment, Retreat, Wooster, Sharp Top and Chattoogaville, a spot in far northwestern Georgia that consists of little more than a two-truck volunteer fire department, a few farmhouses and a country store.

"We're not under obligation to show every single community," department spokeswoman Karlene Barron said. "While we want to, there's a balancing act. And the map was getting illegible."

What they call illegible, I'd call a linguistic feast-

What great names.

I dont know if any crack my all time top 4, (Cheesequake NJ, Meddybemps ME, Eek AK, Bugscuffle TN), though Poetry Tulip comes close,

They are the types of places Id drive way out of my way just to mail postcards from---

Got any good towns where your from?

Edited by mstar1

My three right off my head favorites are both in AR. Booger Hollow bosted a sign I saw with my own eyes on my honeymoon back in 1980 that says, "Welcome to Booger Hollow. Population 7, countin' one coon dog."

The other we drove through a couple times this past week - Fifty Six, AR. I wondered about the history of how they were named and will do a google search today. If I find anything interesting, I'll let you know.

The first time I went to visit Arkie Ron and his son, I took a wrong turn and wound up in Flippin, AR. I thought I might have to move there so I can say I live in Flippin, AR!

Awww, shucks, MStar, I hope that someone keeps making maps of these little known gems. Maybe one that only has these kinds of places on their maps.

I love driving home from Orlando to Starville. My CD collection is strategically designed to enhance the drive as I drive through China Grove, AL (Doobies!) :biglaugh:

I also love driving through Gotha and Gordo.

Of course, I'm partial to Mississippi and have quite a few favorites in just Mississippi alone...

My Favorite Mississippi Cities:

Shuqualak (pronounced Sugar-lock)

Yazoo City (Home of Jerry Clower - Knock 'em out John!)

Eupora (pronounced You-Pour-ah - my favorite dj used to say, "Eupora, I'll drinkah")

Possum Trot

Possumneck

Waxhaw

Hot Coffee

Itta Bena

Noxapater (but you have to say it with a strong southern drawl to really appreciate it. Kind of hard NOT to say it with a southern drawl, isn't it?)

Cleo

Bouge Chitto

And the optimistic towns of:

Good Hope

Goodfood

Goodman

Goodyear

Grace