GreaseSpot Cafe

Desperate to get ballot mailed

HAPe4me

Good old Broward County FL elections office makes news AGAIN!

I am absolutely adamant about making sure my vote counts, but to spend $190K in a failed attempt is going TOO far! It seems that someone wanted to get their ballot in the mail in time to be received by the clerk and be counted. For some reason, they used an assortment of old stamps for postage. Some from 1936 but.........

One of the most sought after of stamps for collectors is the 24cent 1918 Inverted Jenny. One sheet of 100 stamps made it into circulation (4 sheets were printed incorrectly, 3 were caught and destroyed). The stamp is valued at $200,000 depending on its uncirculated condition. Somebody used one of these stamps to mail their ballot, and their ballot could still not be counted, since no name was on the envelope!. Now that it is used, its value has diminished to perhaps 1/10 of its former value.

To make matters worse, due to election law, the envelope is now in a box of ballots which has been sealed, and willl be kept for 22 months. Usually at that time the box and its contents are destroyed. I hope they can find a work-around of this law, in order that this jewel of a stamp can be retrieved.

Story here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/...-rarestamp.html

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

Man o man what a shame. My mother is a serious stamp collector and I think I saw a little tear fall when she heard about this.

"That is exactly why I preach at you and your brothers to never let my stamps get out of control Shellon"

And the stamp lost a crapload of value when it was cancelled..........sigh.

Probably someone didn't know, just needed a stamp and there it was.

Sigh, what a shame