GreaseSpot Cafe

Atlanta dumping Air America

markomalley

Joe Weber, who recently purchased WWAA-AM/1690, will be migrating his eclectic music format (everything from Pavoratti to Springsteen, Beethoven to Aretha) from 1160 starting Monday June 12. 1690 has run liberal talk show syndicate Air America the past couple of years. Weber is planning to keep only Al Franken from noon to 3 p.m. He says his focus is on mornings and drivetime and by keeping Franken, he hopes to grab a few of those Air America fans. This does mean no more access to Rachel Maddow, Janeane Garafalo, Jerry Springer and Randi Rhodes unless you have XM Satellite radio or you can listen online. 1160 will simulcast until he creates a new format there. He wouldn’t say what he’s going to put there.

Source: Access Atlanta

Why would somebody ever dump that network? I can't possibly understand it!

Can anybody possibly explain?

Garth, is this Joe Webber guy a terminal dittohead or something?

((sigh)) It would appear so, Mark. And this helps illustrate the fact that it is the owners, more than the reporters/editors/talk show hosts/whatever other radio performers, that determine what program/agenda/propaganda gets aired. :nono5:

The owners aren't always 'dittoheads' (derogoratory name for conservatives), nor are they always 'commie leftists' (derogoratory name for liberals). I mean, look at Ted 'Mouth of the South' Turner.

But I kinda doubt that all-too-often used tirade being used here like "Hey! It's what the public wants. It's what the market calls for." Not quite, particularly when across the country, Air America is sprouting like weeds, and its popularity is growing right along with it. And you take a city like Atlanta? I mean, we're not talking Scottsboro, Ala. here. Atlanta has a LOT of people who like shows like The Regular Guys (rock n' roll with some of that raunch talk), 99X (leading edge rock that hasn't gone mainstream yet), a lot of NPR afficienadoes, etc. So they can't bring up the "All we are getting here is a bunch of red-state, staunch conservative, NASCAR loving truck drivers who have their very own Ann Coulter blow up doll--err I mean, 'action figure'." argument. <_<

Well, that's Yet One More Reason why internet radio is starting to supplant traditional radio nowadays. You can, with either a home internet connection, or more and more of internet radios on your I-pods, get around what will wind up being a short sighted decision by some Clear Communications knock-off. :eusa_clap:

And it'll be only a matter of time before traditional radio goes the way of AM 60's rock stations.

:spy:

He wouldn’t say what he’s going to put there.

Probably either a Mix of Dubya's Greatest Quotes (gaffs), of Ann Coulter will finally get her own radio talk show. :wacko: :mooner:

Edited by GarthP2000

I'd vote for Glenn Beck, who we lost locally to Air America. He is a radio genius and terribly funny. He's pretty bad on TV though. I love his Bud commercial parodies "Real American A-holes".

There must have been a consideration than pecuniary to put on AA here. It's ratings hover near 0, seriously.