GreaseSpot Cafe

Katrina animation

rhino

A friend in New Orleans sent me this link to an animation of just what happened when Katrina hit. It steps through where the walls of water came in ...

Katrina animation

If the link won't play, do what David says below I guess ... it plays directly from the link for me ...

it really shows how overwhelming was the mass of water that first swept into the eastern part of New Orleans ... while initail reports were coming in that maybe New Orleans had dodged another bullet ... then later even those other parts became mostly flooded ...

Edited by rhino

Bummer, I can't get it to play

I couldn't either Shellon, but then I hit the *quote* button from Rhino's post,

and I deleted a few words from this URL -- and ended up at

http://www.nola.com/enter/index.ssf?/katrina/swf%3f

I entered the info asked for -- and was into the site. :)

It worked for me, meebe it will for you too. ;)

Edited by dmiller

Finally got it to play. That timeline really helps me better understand what I've seen.

Parts of the Mississippi coast got over 30' of water (!) but it washed in and some hours later, washed out. It was more violent but less chronic than N.O.

The animation illustrates that 90% of New Orleans went under water...then stayed that way upwards of 2 1/2 weeks!

Yeah, it helped me too Evan. Thanks David! There was a piece in the paper months back that showed the depth of water around the city, but the one copy that I looked at wasn't mine. So, an added benefit is that this video has a link that shows the depths in some of St. Bernard and New Orleans.

gc