GreaseSpot Cafe

Support your local christian book store

ex70sHouston

We had a great christian book store here that closed two weeks ago.

They had been open for 20 years and always had great service. They closed after 4 years of lossing money. They were losing sales to the internet.

I was thinking about this this morning. Where am I going to go to get good Mothers day cards.

The closest christian book store is now 70 miles away.

Capitalism is changing.

"Build a better mousetrap and customers will beat a path to your doorstep, ..."

Internet sales had a huge effect on small European countries trying to stay independent with their own economie's, when anyone could order anything via the internet. It causes every business to be flexible and re-think how they do business. And it caused those nations to unify into a single economic entity.

'Big box stores' appear to be doing the same thing. Giving small stores a run for the market share, and even shakcing up old established department stores like Sears, Montgomery Wards, JC Penneys, Kmart, etc.

The effects on Amazon's growing marketshare on 'Barnes & Noble' is a good example.

Mule breeders and stage coach stations were also once a big industry. In many areas every twenty miles or so had a station to change out your teams for fresh teams, or to water and feed your teams. But things changed, and not those old skills are largely obsolete.

Hey there Ex 70's. Our local store closed down about 3 months ago as well.

Sadly -- it had turned into more of a *christian gift shop* -- with pics of Jesus knocking on the UN building (that sort of thing), so I never was in there very much. They used to be a bookstore, and occasionally I found something there that was of interest. But that was years ago.

I never did hear the reason why they decided to close shop.

There's still a Christian bookstore about 20 miles from where I live, where they sell Jack Chic comics and Christian coffee mugs and tee shirts and that sort of thing.

I think it's been over 5 years since I've been there.

Competition with internet sales is fierce. How can one beat the fact that one can find just

about anything for perhaps less the price as local stores are charging, at the click of a button no less. Even used bookstores have vanished in the area. Who needs a traditional storefront, when one can directly market their books online, and upon receiving an order, remove them from the shelf or closet, wrap them and ship them out?

I miss browsing the local used bookstore, but I still receive catalogues and lists in the mail, of both new and used books. In many respects the new system has proven to more effective, in that one can find scarce and out of print works far more easily, whereas before there would be much work and time involved in tracking down certain volumes. I'de say the majority of books that I've picked up over the years has been through the internet. Works which I thought I might not lay eyes upon in a million years.

Dave, I think I remember seeing that pic of Jesus knocking on the UN building. As I recall, he also looked sort of like Abe Lincoln.

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

Just before the "long time Christian Bookstore" near where I lived at the time folded, I asked the clerk about a "I will set no wicked thing before my eyes Psalm 101.3" desktop item.

He laughed and said, "it's a little extreme for me."

I was stunned.

And then the store closed.

Christians cannot make it without extreme integrity -- Without extreme commitment and devotion, which brings extreme help from the Lord.

Also the internet I think is becoming our playground, and it provides many avenues to "witness" (show forth) our Christian love and integrity. I believe that the Internet provides a connection fabric for the body of Christ, not to mention the details of Bible study the computer provides.

In hope,

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've gotten nine of the last ten books I bought from http://www.wtsbooks.com . (The one exception is an ESV version of the Bible I purchased at a Books-A-Million store.)

A few months ago, however, I tried finding a gift for someone at a Christian bookstore. After a number of minutes of what I deem rather intense searching through the store's collection of CDs, I walked out and settled for getting some marinara sauce and uncooked pasta from an Italian restaurant.

Edited by Cynic